Tuesday 5 September 2006

The Gold medal goes to....

My mother!!! I always knew that my mother had a heart of gold. All throughout her life my mother’s kindness has been taken advantage off; Growing up the kids in our street would come and play at the house of Mari, because my mother made great cakes and cookies.

At times my mothers kind heartedness would piss me off, as it seemed that she would bend over backwards to help everyone else rather than do stuff for us. Perhaps with maturity or marriage I finally realised that the unselfishness of my mother was something I aspired to achieve in my life…and I’m way off.

Tim went back to work today….and with this knowledge my mother was here at 9am this morning armed with food and a change of clothes. My only task today was dealing with JJ, whilst my darling mother cleaned the whole house…meaning she vacuumed, dusted, scrubbed and mopped the whole house, bathrooms, toilets, laundry, bedrooms, kitchen…yes the whole house.

Then after some visitors left and I was on the phone to Ellie (consoling the latest crisis in her life…Tim feeding changing JJ) my mother cooked us a meal…took some home and then left.

Not once did I hear any type of critisim from her about how I was dealing with JJ, not once did I hear any assvice on the wrongs and rights of what I was doing…At one point JJ had cracked it big time and the only way he would sleep was cuddled in my arms…My mother looked at me, when I was trying to convince her to have a break and told me that the most important job I was doing was loving, cuddling and resting with my son.

Today is my first day home with JJ all by myself…solo…am a little nervous…excited and anxious about how I will cope…Wednesday Mum is coming over again armed with more food she wants to cook for us…

Any suggestions about how I can repay my mother for her help would be grateful as I have no idea…

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Mari. Your post has made me cry. Your Mother sounds so wonderful. :)

    I lost my own beautiful Mumma 11 years ago, when I was 25. She never saw her Grandchildren. Now I need her more than ever. All my friends' Mums visit them and comfort and help them, and I do feel so alone, so cheated. As Mothers of Babies and young children we do have such hard days, and the work load is so huge. Mothers need Mothers too! Honestly, I just want to cuddle my Mum, and smell her.. knowing that she is the woman who loves me most in the whole world, and who is my number 1 cheer squad!

    How to repay your Mother? I'd say tell her how much you love her, what a wonderful Nanna she is, and how you have always been aware of her kindness and aspire to be a Mother like she is.. just what you wrote. It touched this stranger (me!) and Im sure your Mother will be so happy to hear it.

    You will go great solo with JJ.. I hope you have had a good day. :)

    Felicity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy going solo. I was crapping myself when my mum went back to Oz and my husband went to work but it was okay and it keeps getting better as you learn new things about your baby...and yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a really nice card saying how thankful you are for having such a great Mum, and a little basket of extra nice goodies. Maybe some extra nice chocolates, biscuits, cheeses or wine that she wouldn't normally buy herself. Oh, and how about printing off this post and slipping it in the bottom. I'm sure she'd get a buzz out of it. :)

    My mother came over last week and cleaned the whole house for me after the operation on my toes and I got her a big bunch of flowers delivered. It's also her birthday next week and I've got a collection of perfume mini's care of eBay for her. I know she'll love that.

    Mum's can be hard to buy for.

    ReplyDelete