Wednesday 21 October 2015

100% Committed

Hello my name is Maria and I am morbidly obese.  I didn’t get this way overnight it happened gradually over 20 years. Even writing those words “morbidly obese” is liberating.

So why do I want to make changes now?

Because I can no longer “pretend” that I’m obese.

Let me take a moment to explain, recently my family and I went on a holiday to sunny Queensland, it was a long overdue holiday. As we were in the ‘theme park’ capital of Australia we went to Seaworld, Movieworld and Dream World.  At these places we all had a brilliant time. 
Until…. I was kindly asked to get off some of the roller coaster rides because they were unable to lock in the safety harness or bar. 

No matter how much I pushed or sucked my gut in, the harnesses would not lock.  To say I was embarrassed would be a universal understatement. I didn’t want to burst into tears in front of my child but I was close to making an absolute fool of myself.

To admit this embarrassment to myself is one thing but to admit it to the world is pushing myself right out of my comfort zone.

So here I am sitting down the day after the first time I was asked to get off a ride because I am too fat.  Embarrassed, shocked and sickened to see how bad I let myself go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment