Tuesday 12 January 2010

Returning to work

December 14th 2009 saw me return to full time employment.

From the time the decision was made to start looking for a job to the date I started working was a matter of only 2 weeks. It all happened so very quickly. So quickly in fact that I barely had time to prepare, (which in hindsight was a good thing in part).

I started this post with describing all the questions / comments that have been thrown at me, with regards to the decision to return back to work. After I read the words written, I was disgusted with how this decision has been treated and I didn’t want these negative thoughts and feelings to be present, they simply do not belong here.

Until you have walked in someone’s shoes you will never truly know what it is like to be them or the true extent of their life situation. No matter how I tried to explain to family and friends the reason for returning to work, it would never be enough and I’m not going to try to hash it out again here.

A netball team mate of mine said the words so very simply. “I live in a reality where both my husband and I have work”.

Once again I opened my self up to the hands of the universe who guided me, and I strongly feel that I was meant to go back to work. The job role was not even advertised and it was exactly what I was looking for. The salary is 50% more than what I was previously earning. The kids have settled in very quickly.

All the signs say to me that it was meant to be, got a really great job, the money is fantastic, the location is great (right in the heart of the city in a beautiful building), the kids are settled.

I could sit here and be depressed and worry about “those poor kid in Child Care”, I could allow myself to feel the full extent of my guilt. Which is weird, why should I feel guilty for working to better my family’s life? My husband can’t do it by himself, why am I expecting him to bear the burden for supporting all of us? Now that is something I SHOULD feel guilty about, not me working again!!!

This is my reality and I’m embracing it, because if I don’t then the negativity will destroy me.

1 comment:

  1. I am playing catch up with some blogs, so I didn't read your previous post yet. But, I agree, that unless you are in someone else's shoes you don't know what you would do. My mom tries to make comments about how she stayed home and I always say, "That was then. Times have changed, and most households need to be a two income family. I will do what is best for our family. End of story."

    ReplyDelete