Thursday 16 June 2005

Friendship

An incident occurred a number of weeks ago and has been with me since then, I can’t stop thinking about what happened, so I thought that it was time to finally put it to rest in my heart and blog about it. So here goes:

Dear Zs
I would like to start this letter by first telling you how important your friendship was to me. I loved you like you were my sister, accepted you for who you were and appreciated all the time we could spend with each other.

I’m very disappointed with what occurred that night (which was meant to be a night that we celebrate my Birthday), it was your decision to storm out of my house, you were not pushed to leave. What you said to me has deeply hurt me and at the moment I don’t see a way back to our friendship that was.

I’m 29 years old and I work very hard to earn my living, my hobby is to collect DVD’s and TV shows, it is what we like to spend our money on. Now as a friend I’m happy for you to borrow all the movies in our possession, which you have done in the past, no questions asked.

However when I found out that you were borrowing them to make a copy of my movies, I was shocked it was never my intention to let you borrow anything and have them illegally copied. So when you asked to borrow some more movies and when I simply asked you if it was your intention to copy them and you replied “Yes”. I had every right to say “No” to you, which you obviously didn’t like.

Now I don’t know whether you didn’t like the fact that I stood up for myself and simply said “No” to your request or that I asked you to only borrow them and not copy them. Mimi and I strongly disagree with the practice of downloading movies, music and tv shows off the internet and then burning copies for others. We have previously discussed this with you. It is our way and we are happy to buy things full price, as we enjoy them much more.

After I said “No” to you, you said “A true friend would not deny you your wishes”. This what hurts the most, I’ve only requested that you do not copy the movies, I didn’t deny your viewing pleasure. My niece who is 14 yo has fights with friends and I’ve passed on some advice to her in the past, which was that if a friend ever said the words “If you were my true friend” then to me they are really not a true friend.

When I asked you if you now felt as though I was not your true friend you shrugged which to me indicated your thoughts completely. I was and still am totally shocked and stunned that you would think that of me.

I did receive your SMS and I have not replied and will not reply as I feel that I don’t need to explain my thoughts and actions anymore, I am an adult I don’t answer to anyone and if I decide not to lend you something it is my right to make that decision.

Hopefully after this few week break we can both get over what happened and what was said and move on, that is if we are both adult enough to let go of what happened as honestly in the scheme of things it is insignificant and will NOT matter in a year from now.

Your ture friend
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment