Sunday 10 June 2012

Books that I have read

Phew now that was a lot of reading!

Some very heavy reading recently and worthwhile because I have learnt so much!
 



I started off with this a number or months ago and it took me a while to get into it, most likely because I didn’t want to acknowledge the lessons that were being said to me.

The biggest lesson I have learnt through this book is that I do not really have the “tools” or “experience” in being a best friend. But I now understand the importance of having a best friend in my life:

“Having deeply accepting friends helps us beyond the fact of being accepted by others, and then by ourselves. When our deepest relationships know us and accept us anyway, we are now free to deal with our weaknesses as a problem, rather than a condemnation.”

This is what has happened to me.  I was accepted for who I was and then was able to finally look at my own acceptance as something easily achieved.
 


This next book, I can never be anymore grateful towards the Author of this book. From the first page I started highlighting. It is as though the author opened up my life and wrote everything that had been happening to me recently. Nearly every single chapter has pages and pages all highlighted with comments.  This passage best explains what I have learnt:

 
The sin in this instance is the sin of my vulnerability and doubting my worthiness.


I despaired so much when I started reading this last book, because I started to identify that I was an “Unsafe person for my friends”, a work colleague that recommended this book told me to persevere.  How I am still not convinced that I am a “Safe” friend.

I am very humbled and affected by the learning’s from this book, also if anything I started doubting myself again. Here is passage the helps sums up what I have learnt:

“The idea of changing our own character first is really what this book is about. In order to have safe people, we must first become safe people ourselves.”

I still have other books to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment