Monday 28 January 2013

To respect myself


When I was diagnosed with Post Natal Depression, I attended a group where we sat and spoke about the difficulties and feelings we were facing.  There were no egos or judgement from this group.  It was a safe environment where women like me could go and talk about all that was happening in their life.  I met Lj there and we have been friends ever since.

One of the most important lessons I learnt during that time was “self-respect”.  As a new Mum it was extremely important for me to spend time on my own.  To put my needs before my family doesn't sound right, does it?? It didn't for me either.  But as soon as I started to respect myself and say “No I will be doing this for me” the dynamics of the household began to change.

So where did I lose it?
Why did I stop respecting myself?

I got lost along the way and life just took over again.

I am a little confused when it comes to “self-respect” so I did what everyone does these days, I googled it and came across this article here. Step 2 “Practice basic respect towards yourself”.

So here are my goals for 2013:
. Balance work with my life
. The words: “I am a big fat bitch that is not important to anyone” has no meaning to me anymore!
. See the positive to every situation
. Not be too hard on myself
. Accept

The more practical things I can do for myself are:
. Schedule in “me” time to once a quarter initially then once a month
. Look at myself every day in the mirror and say “Mari you are magnificent” (and mean it)

I am determined, so determined that this year will be the last year that I suffer from anymore doubts.  I do not have any more energy to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment